Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Monday, July 16, 2012

Gourmet Donuts

A recent article in a business magazine noted that "gourmet donuts" are now a billion-dollar-a-year industry, with new and surprising dough concoctions cropping up in shops across the nation.  Whereas, the typical donut shop might charge up to $1 for a "regular" donut, the new gourmet versions are topping out at the $5 mark (or even more).

The new fare, with combinations like chili-mango and apricot-and-Cinnamon, seem to be the new fad, and many people seem willing--even in a tough economy--to plunk down a five-spot for a bite of a newfangled taste-sensation.

My hunch is that this trend will trend away, along with crocs and leisure suits and pet rocks.  The average person, I don't think, is going to walk away with a five dollar donut, no matter how unique or finely-tuned it may be.

However, there are been stranger trends in the world of food.  As the author points out in the article, the gourmet donut is not touted as a donut at all, but as a super-treat along the lines of a dessert or point-of-purchase delicacy.  The idea is, if people will buy a five dollar ice cream cone (and they do!) or pay five dollars for a dessert (heck, most desserts cost more!) then they will most certainly spring for a five dollar donut of superior quality (and they are!).

Well, I'll be going in search of some of these big game fish in the coming weeks.  I've got a roll of fivers in my wallet earmarked for the catch and a series of blogs waiting in review.  And if anyone out there has a gourmet donut I should try, don't hesitate to drop me a line.  I'll bite. 

The flavor and the aroma will most certainly reel me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment