Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Monday, January 23, 2012

Boyden's Bakery Gator Tails

Last Wednesday I found myself on the University of Indianapolis campus where, after meeting with a student, I had a relaxing lunch and a quick visit at University Heights UM Church and reconnected with old friends.  Driving west on Hanna Avenue on my way back to Brownsburg, I suddenly found myself changing lanes, eager to get at the sweet somethings that I knew were waiting for me at Boyden's bakery . . . one of my frequent southside haunts and a top-notch donut hole!

I was not disappointed.

When I walked in, I found I was the only afternoon customer and the bakery appeared vacant.  The display cases, however, were filled with marvelous treats--donuts of sundry size and appearance as well as cakes, cookies, and fresh-baked pies.  One particular offering caught my eye:  an elongated pastry with an off-color greenish glaze sprinkled with chopped pecans.

Gator Tails, the sign said.

I studied this fare for some time, salivating, but then realized that those Gator Tails were BIG and I had just come from lunch.  Better not waste a good thing.  Besides, I had a bit of a drive back to Brownsburg and the scent of brewed coffee was hitting my nostrils hard. 

When a young lady walked out of the back room, startled to see that she had a customer, I knew I had my questions about this old southside bakery.  And there was plenty of time for a visit.

I wasn't getting a gator tail, but I couldn't wait to hear her tale of Boyden's history.

No comments:

Post a Comment