Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Thursday, January 5, 2012

Top Pot: Seattle, Washington

PhotoTop Pot Doughnuts, Seattle. Becky and I sat in the balcony, second table from the foreground on the rail. 






Last summer my wife and I flew to the Pacific Northwest, rented a car, and meandered through Portland, the Columbia River valley, Mt. St. Helen's National Park, Mt. Rainier National Park, and eventually into Seattle where, on our final morning of this brilliant vacation, we asked the hotel desk:  "Is there a donut shop anywhere near by?"

We were directed--and in glowing, excited review--to visit Top Pot Doughnuts, an establishment which just happened to be a mere two blocks from our hotel. 

We walked through a gentle rain, but were not disappointed.

This landmark donut shop has been a part of the Seattle culture for many years and we could see why.  The menu featured some indescribably delicious selections, all huge offerings, which we plated, broke, and shared as if participating in holy communion.  And the coffee, served up in wide-brim mugs, provided the perfect pools for dunking.  We could see why Top Pot was tops, and why so many people were willing to stand in line--even outside in the rain--to gather a taste of Seattle's best.

The residents of Seattle, of course, love their coffee.  But the Top Pot fare complimented the brew with just the right mix of sugary glaze and complexity of tastes.  One woman, sitting below us in the floor-level foyer, was trying to polish off a baker's dozen--a sickening display of gluttony--but I do believe she made it.  But the donuts were so large, I couldn't have come close to eating four, much less a pile.  These donuts were for savoring . . . not for devouring.

Top Pot.  It will be on my list of landmarks to re-visit if I find myself touring in Seattle again.   (Photo:  Top Pot selections:  to die for!) 

And until we eat again, remember:  all things--even donuts--in moderation!   

No comments:

Post a Comment