Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Wednesday, January 4, 2012

First Pitch

Looking back, I can see that the donut has been a part of my life since my mother weened me, and even during the weening, I may have preferred coffee and donuts.  Some of my earliest memories involve donuts, including driving past an iconic bakery in Terre Haute, Indiana known as Square Donuts, and sitting at the kitchen table on Sunday mornings with my grandmother, who always preferred donuts to pancakes.  

A bit later, after my mother entrusted me and my brother with the keys to the kitchen, we often fried our own donuts:  a recipe that featured a tube of refrigerated biscuits and some Crisco.  Poke a hole in the dough, drop the rings into the hot oil, and presto . . . donuts.  Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top and that was our treat.  Sometimes I'd side-step my brother and eat the entire greasy batch myself.

Fifty years later, I'm still searching for the perfect donut--or the perfect donut experience.

That's what this blog is about.

I hope you'll join me here each day for a sneak peek at my triglyceride count and be willing to learn more about the donut.  I'll have some history, some fun, a fair amount of donut shop conversations, a few recipes, and heaping amounts of personal insights.  I'll also be dropping in on some of the best donut shops and bakeries in the great Indianapolis area AND reflecting on some other favorite donut haunts I've discovered over the years.

Don't think I can write a daily blog about the donut?  Think again.  Just check back, I'll be here most mornings with some tidbit or insight . . . licking my fingers.

And until we eat again, remember:  all things--including donuts--in moderation!  

   

1 comment:

  1. Come to Ft Myers, Todd, Would love to see you both and take you to Bennett's Fresh Roast. My favorite donut spot. Freshly made daily and coffee to die for. =)
    Jo Wagner

    ReplyDelete