Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Monday, January 16, 2012

Living By Dunkin' Donuts (Part 1)

Two years ago a vacated custard ice-cream shop near our house was renovated into a Dunkin' Donuts.  The first time I drove past the establishment I felt my arteries constrict and my cholesterol level shot up twelve points.  I was one of the first customers in the long "free donut" line the day this Dunkin' Donuts opened.

The day the store premiered, I also paced off the distance from my front yard to the Dunkin' Donuts entrance.  It was less than 300 yards.  I felt another shot of adrenalin. I hurried home and told my wife the good news.  She feigned interest and told me I needed to "get a life."

Well, I've got a life all right . . . and it frequently includes a walk to Dunkin' Donuts.  Walking there is exercise.  And I feel an obligation to be neighborly.  I should also point out that the waltz to and from Dunkin' Donuts burns substantial calories, and doing all of that exercise requires that I refuel with a coconut cake donut or a jelly-filled.  Sometimes, I purchase a bag for the walk home which, again, is a substantial distance . . . like crossing the Sahara.  People who frequent our road see me walking home often--the picture of health--and they honk and wave.  Some of the neighbors have started calling me "the donut freak", but this is just a term of endearment and they mean no harm. 

Sometimes after I have walked home with a bag of donuts and changed into a three piece Italian-cut suit, I visit the drive-through on my way to the office.  I buy coffee and pretend I just came off the highway.  I speak with a Saskatchewan accent and pretend I have never heard of Dunkin' Donuts in my life.  The girl at the drive-up window always asks, "Say, didn't I see you in here just a few minutes ago?"

I tell her I have an ignorant Hoosier twin who eats donuts.  "And while you're at it," I say, "let me try one of these donut concoctions you speak about, don't you know.  Might go well with my coffee, Missy."

No comments:

Post a Comment