Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Boyden's Bakery

The next time you are driving southside Indianapolis and are hit hard by a donut craving, don't hesitate to visit Boyden's bakery on Hanna Avenue.  I visited again last week and was glad I did.

Boyden's has been an old-school German bakery and southside establishment for eighty years (Happy Birthday, Boyden's).  The young lady who talked to me last week informed me that her family has run the bakery in its current location for nearly fifty years.  

Specialties?  Listen, I asked about the coconut macaroons . . . which my wife and I agree are the best we've ever tasted. Boyden's used to make these great mounds of coconut shavings during the weeks leading up to Christmas, but the Boyden's baker admitted that these have since fallen off the baking list.  "No wonder," I said.  "Since I moved to Brownsburg I'm not in here as often.  I was the one who used to buy your whole daily allotment.  Sure miss those!  When I lived on the southside, I was a six-macaroon-a-day man. I had to go through a coconut macaroon twelve-step program. Can you tell I've lost weight?"

Okay, but my absence doesn't help Boyden's!  Other folks on the southside are going to have to pull their weight.  Let's get with the program folks!

Still, a person can't go wrong with a Boyden's cake or cookie.  I'm telling you, nobody bakes a better cookie.  Lots of traditional and new-fangled flavors and varieties to choose from.

Me?  By the time I prepared to leave I was up for a couple of donuts.  I purchased a cup of coffee, thanked my Boyden's host for a nice visit, and waltzed out with two traditional blueberry cake donuts in a white paper bag.  One of these was gone before I pulled out of the parking lot.

And the coffee wasn't bad either!

Just remember: before you eat and drive . . . all things, including donuts, in moderation!   

No comments:

Post a Comment