Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Monday, January 30, 2012

Are Donuts Healthy?

About five years ago there was a stirring of controversy in America around the donut.  Critics were calling for the donut's annihilation, pointing out that since the rise of so many Krispy Kreme establishments America's collective weight had skyrocketed, with obesity numbers among children among the highest in the world.  And there was, I must say, a backlash against donuts, in particular.

But let me be clear.

The donut has always been, and was always meant to be, a treat.  Not a staple.  Not a dessert.  Not a food group.  And certainly not a breakfast alternative.

I've always kept donuts in their proper category, I think.  (Although, I must admit, I can at times push the limits of decency with these things and go hog wild in a Krispy Kreme rush when the sign is flashing "HOT DONUTS".)

Yet, donuts are--and have always been for me--a treat.  And this in moderation.

I'm not down on the donut. I'm high on powdered sugar.  Especially with coffee.  Hot.  With cream.

I generally don't eat donuts for breakfast.  My mornings are predominantly reserved for writing, for heavy workouts at the gym, and for light breakfasts and/or study with friends (usually oatmeal out).  If I'm going to eat a donut for breakfast (or two or three) I'm usually going to counter that little caloric setback with extra time on the stairmaster or more reps on the bench.  In other words, I'm going to EARN IT.  

I like donuts.  Donuts are, in all likelihood, my favorite food.  Hence, this blog.  If I were on death row and the warden came to me and said, "The governor has denied your request for a stay of execution and so I need your last meal request" . . . I'd probably order a half gallon of ice cold milk (skim) and a dozen donuts.  Actually, I'd probably only order eight donuts.  Since it was my last meal, I'd want to eat in moderation.  That way, I could lose a few pounds.      

No comments:

Post a Comment