Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My Father's Day Gift

Late Saturday night, after a celebratory graduation dinner on Mass Ave., my wife and I walked into a small shop that still had its doors open.  After some minutes of perusing the aisles, my wife announced that she was buying my father's day gift in advance.  (Never mind that I am not my wife's father and I don't expect her to buy me gifts for any occasion, even birthdays and Christmas . . . but I had to say yes when she pointed to this book title.)

Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts: Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker

Now, there's a story here.

Last summer my wife and I were blessed to visit the Pacific northwest, and our last stop was Seattle, where we not only visited and drank a cup at the original Starbucks, but we also happened upon the Top Pot bakery before our departure flight.  This turned out to be an iconic doughnut mecca (though we had not heard of it), and was fascinating on all fronts:  atmosphere, ambiance, aromas, auditory, and much more.

(See my original blogs here for more on our Top Pot visit.)

The book is now in my possession and is a father's day gift.  I'm learning much from reading this book . . . not only about the history of doughnuts, but also about how doughnuts are made (and how I can make them at home using these Top Pot recipes).

Over the next 3-4 blog posts, I'm also going to share some tidbits from my learning . . . doughnut lore, statistics, and some personal favorites.

Stay tuned.  I'm glad my wife loved me enough to buy this book with her hard-earned cash.  I might even make her a doughnut some evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment