Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Baseball Donut

When I was a kid (just a small billy goat) I played a great deal of summer baseball.  And one of the tools that batters used back in those days was something called a "donut". 

The donut was a circular weight that would drop over the bottom of the bat and would allow the hitter to practice swinging a heavier bat in the "hole" while he was waiting to get to the plate.  Baseball players still do this today, although the donut seems to have fallen out of fashion among some hitters, who seem to prefer swinging lead pipes, heavy fungo bats, or sleeves.  You don't see many old-school donuts anymore.

I wonder if anyone has considered creating new baseball donuts that actually look like donuts?  These could be specialty items.  Imagine major league baseball players swinging a lead donut that looks like a cruller, or one that looks like a jelly-filled or sprinkle.

Could be a good thing for baseball and might be a great addition to the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment