Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Monday, June 4, 2012

The Funeral Home Donut

A few weeks ago, while visiting a family in a funeral home, I rounded a corner and came face-to-face with a plate of donuts.  I like this idea:  donuts as comfort food; donuts as soul-food; donuts as grief therapy.  There's a reason those donuts were there!  It was part of God's plan instituted at the beginning of the universe.

Naturally, I shed a tear and picked up a donut.  I thanked the funeral director for his contribution to my waistline and strode out.  The day had suddenly turned bright.

I'd like to recommend that all funeral homes keep fresh donuts on hand (or even stale ones).  I'd like to see more donuts closer to the casket . . . like flower arrangements.  Why not donut arrangements?  Why not a flowing sugar fountain where mourners can dip their own unglazed yeast donuts?

I'd like this at my funeral.  Folks could say, "Well, he wasn't much in life, but good God how he loved his pastry!  What a party!"

Others could say, "He was a failure as a husband, father, pastor and writer . . . but he knew his cruellers!" 

Some people might even rise to give testimony to the whole (and the hole) of my life's work.

Who knows.  All those donuts at my funeral might even revive me.  Or, with all those preservatives inside, I may not have to be embalmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment