Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Friday, June 1, 2012

National Donut Day

In the event you forgot . . . today (Friday, June 1) is National Donut Day.  The day was started many decades ago in honor of the good work that The Salvation Army performed during the first World War, when soldiers were given "doughnuts" and coffee near the trenches to both energize the body and comfort the spirit.

Donuts have been a comfort food ever since.

This morning I found my way to Dunkin' Donuts (yes, there is a sign for National Donut Day!) and after ordering my coffee, received a free donut of choice.  The place was packed, and it was obvious that others also had similar designs.

I didn't have time to check on my job application with Dunkin' . . . didn't want to take the manager away from more important matters (like customers). 

But don't forget to check out your free donut today.  That little bit of pastry might be just the thing to hold you together through some tough times.  You know you want one.

Just remember . . . all things in moderation.  And that includes donuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment