Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Panera Paradox

Last week I met an old friend for breakfast at Panera Bread.  I arrived a few minutes early and began perusing the pastry case so that I could make an educated decision about my breakfast fare.  Right away, I was drawn to the orange scone.

I'm not sure a scone, technically, passes as a donut.  But this one was moist and delicious.  Just the right amount of flavoring vs. texture.  And for something that may have been sitting in the case for days (?) it came off tasting rather fresh.

It had been some months since I'd eaten at a Panera Bread, and actually, I'd all but forgotten about the place.  But I enjoyed their coffee selections, too.  Since they were there for the taking, I blended several and tried to concoct my own "house blend".

I do think that Panera is a bakery . . . but it's more than this.  It's also a soup and sandwich stand and a fresh salad cart.  Since last I entered their doors I was taken by the new menu and the breadth of the breakfast and lunch/dinner fare they offered.

Well . . . I'll be back.  There will surely be a few people who would enjoy meeting there for breakfast or lunch.  I might even have another scone.

No comments:

Post a Comment