Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Thursday, June 28, 2012

World Records

Next week, on the 4th of July, I will be on Coney Island, New York to watch the International Nathan's Hot Dog Eating competition.  I'll probably witness another world record by some tiny man who can put away 50 hot dogs and buns in thirty minutes.

Considering these hot dogs also riled my imagination for records.  What, I wondered, are some of the donut-eating records . . . and could I break one of them?
Well, friends, I found one that seems to be right up my alley.  According to the Guiness Book of World Records, on December 12, 2010 a gentleman named Shamus Petherick ate 6 powdered donuts in 3 minutes at the Donuts N More shop in Queensland, Australia.  And there it sits:  6 powdered donuts in 3 minutes.

Really?  That's the record?

Now, this may seem easier said that done, but I do believe (honestly!) that I could eat 6 powdered donuts in 3 minutes . . . if I could dunk em in coffee.  Unless, of course, we are talking about some BIG donuts or if the donuts simply had to be eaten without liquid.  Powdered donuts are indeed dry, and I suppose 6 in 3 minutes could pose a serious health risk if one got choked.

Still, I'd like to try.

But I'd need witnesses.  Would anyone like to give me a shot at making the record book?  And how does one go about contacting these folks to see what it takes to break a record like this one?

I've got the powdered donuts.  I've got the coffee.  I might as well own the record. 

No comments:

Post a Comment