Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Donut Confessional

A bakery is a like a confessional.  Interesting . . . the conversations one overhears while drinking a cup of coffee.

Once, I overheard two women talking about an office romance that one of them was involved in.  Evidently, this is commonplace now, and a bakery (of course) is the perfect place to discuss the nuances of when and how such things "just happen."

On another occasion I overheard a job interview . . . which was not difficult, being that the boss and the prospect were seated within inches of my table.  The boss seemed very pleased by his location selection, but the prospect was, to say the least, both nervous and confused by the proximity and the personal nature of the questions the boss was asking.  At one point the prospect wondered aloud if they could "conduct the remainder of the interview in an office somewhere."  The boss declined, citing his busy schedule and then said, "I don't have any privacy at my office."  What?!  Duh?  The prospect walked away.  I wonder why?

Of course, I like to meet people for conversation in bakeries also.  But my conversations are more in the vein of:  "How about those Cubs?" or "What do you think of that jelly-filled scone?  Feel the buzz yet?"

If I'm going to listen to a person's confession, I'm not going to do it in a bakery.  I'm going to do it in a nice restaurant where the waiter can bring me a moist towelette and a dessert cart.  And if the penitent is willing to pay for my steak, I'm pretty sure all will be forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment