Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Thursday, April 19, 2012

Worst Donut List

This week I was directed to a web site that listed the "Ten Worst Belt-Busting Donuts".  The key here was calories, naturally, and someone had actually taken the time and effort to compare one donut against another, analyzing and calorie-counting and weighing results in a laboratory.

And I thought donuts were for eating!  Silly me.

Of course, when the final tally came in, the worst donuts to eat were the ones that tasted the best.  A few of these were my favorites.

I'm not going to list the top ten here (don't want to plagiarize some idiot's hard-won research), but I will mention a few of the donuts that made the list.  No particular order.  And I'll offer my comments in italics.

The Chocolate Toasted Coconut Cake donut from Dunkin' Donuts
     This is one of my favorites, and when I eat four or five of these suckers in a single sitting, according to the research, I should lapse immediately into cardiac arrest and have to be revived with the paddles.

The Crueler from Starbucks
     I've had one of these, and they are okay.  But what can you expect from a display case?  Evidently this S.O.B. is loaded with sugars and fat.  That's why I get the coffee instead.

The Blueberry Cake donut from Dunkin' Donuts
    Okay, but I thought if a donut had blueberries in it, this meant it was in the fruit group.  And aren't blueberries loaded with anti-oxidants?  This is one of my favs and I'm pissed it's on the list!

Entenmann's chocolate covered donut
    I rarely buy Entenmann's, but I do know they have a display case at the end of the aisle (veiled Seinfeld reference from episode where Elaine ate the Petermann wedding cake and Peterman says:  "Lubek, you glorious tit-willow, you just netted me a profit of a $90,000!")  Okay, it was either a quote from Seinfeld, or M*A*S*H* or Gomer Pyle, or The Andy Griffith Show . . . take your pick. I've seen every episode of each show at least a dozen times.  And I'm not eating an Entenmann's.

What's on YOUR LIST?

No comments:

Post a Comment