Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Friday, April 6, 2012

Golden Brown Bakery

On Tuesday, April 3, Becky and I stepped into The Golden Brown Bakery in South Haven, Michigan.  It's a mom-and-pop bakery on main street.  The first question I asked was, "What's good here?"

I was directed to the Walnut Log . . . a pickle-shaped cake donut that was sprinkled with sugar and finely-crushed walnuts.  "Do you want some coffee with that?" the attendant asked me.

"By all means," I replied.  "What's a Walnut Log without hot coffee?"

"Half a log," was the answer.

The poet in me began reciting, "Half a log, half a log, half a log onward.  Into the valley of death rode the six hundred."

Okay, but that's just me.  Sorry.

It was a great joy sharing my Walnut Log with Becky.  Some donuts just taste better when you share them.  And when you are in Michigan enjoying a beautiful day, it helps to stumble, unexpectedly, into a great bakery.

Golden Brown.

I won't soon forget you!

No comments:

Post a Comment