Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Donut Stereotype

We've all seen an ample supply of movies and news stories about police officers who enjoy donuts.  From the stereotype presented one would think that police officers sit around all day in squad cars enjoying powdered donuts.  Of course, we know this is not the case.  Police enjoy other kinds of donuts , too.  Chocolate covered, for example.

But the stereotype must die.  In point of fact, I've never seen a police officer eating a donut.  I've only seen pastors eating donuts.  

Me?  I eat my share, but even that doesn't hold up under closer scrutiny.  I don't eat donuts every day, although I can certainly eat a box if given the opportunity.

I never eat while driving, though.  I want my hands free so I can hold my wife's hand or send a text message.  I don't want to be eating a donut while I can be fiddling with the CD changer (old school) or pointing to scenery and shouting, "Look at that tree!  Have you ever in your life seen a groundhog as big as that one!?  Is it my imagination, or was that a dead Woolly Mammoth back there?!"

One of these days we will be able to shed ourselves of silly stereotypes and embrace the donut without prejudice.  The donut will be a uniting force for good, and everyone who drives a car will have a trunk full of them.

Until then remember . . . all things, including donuts, in moderation.   

No comments:

Post a Comment