Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Thursday, February 9, 2012

Donut Theology

A few years back a wonderful couple in the church gave me a coffee mug with a saying on it.  I've since kept the mug in my church office on my shelf--right there among my books written by Paul Tillich, Karl Barth, Walter Bruggeman, and books written by some lady who has a fetching 80's style hairdo called a "beehive".

The saying on the coffee mug reads:

As you travel down life's highway
And wherever you may go
Keep your eye upon the donut
And not upon the hole.

Lots of theology in the donut.  Which is something I've always known.

For example, a donut is tasty, and should be a reminder with every bite:  "O taste and see that the Lord is good!"  (Psalms)

Likewise, as the donut hole reminds us, we can often live life focusing on what we do not have, instead of giving thanks for, and enjoying, what we do have.  I'm not a big fan of donut holes.  A hole is a hole.  It's not a donut.  The donut is where it's at.  Someone wants a hole, give him a shovel I say.  

No, the theology of the donut tells us that we should not fall prey to envy, coveting, lust, or greed . . . which are four of the seven deadly sins . . . and all of these sins basically revolve around the same thing:  a desire for what we do not possess.

Don't concentrate on what you don't have.  Give thanks for what you do have!  That's donut theology, and you should take a big bite of it.  Don't worry about what your neighbors have; forget about trying to live like Donald Trump (but Lord, who would want to?); and forget about the hot woman or buff man in the office next door.  Love your house, love your life, love your wife (or husband) and love your donut

Talk to your pastry!  Pray over it!  Then take a bite.  There's some good theology in there among the raspberry filling and the coconut.

Good stuff.  In moderation.  And don't YOU forget it!



1 comment:

  1. Lord, so this is where you get your ideas for staff meeting devotions?! Egads! what's next?

    ReplyDelete