Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Point of Purchase

Have you noted that donuts have now been added to many point-of-purchase displays at check-out aisles?  An odd choice, really, considering that donuts don't have a long shelf-life.  Donuts, I would think, should remain a staple of the bakery . . . fresh out of the oven.

Whenever I do bring donuts home I make certain to place the box or the bag at some strategic location in the house.  Not necessarily in the kitchen.

Donuts can be displayed, for example, on the staircase, the bookshelf, at the front door, or on the bed.  Anyone walking by is bound to see the bag and wonder what's inside. 

Likewise, I would much prefer to carry my donuts in a bag instead of a box.  A box of donuts looks too commercial, in my opinion, and cheapens the taste.  But a bag . . . .  Now here we're going back to memories and tastes and sensations that still linger.  Nothing like finding a few extra crumbs of sugar still sticking to the bottom.

I'm sure some people do buy their donuts in the aisles at those super-warehouses that also carry hardware and electronic appliances.  But me?  I want a mom-and-pop bakery with a bag.

That's the point I'm trying to make. And it's a tasty one.  Especially in moderation!  

No comments:

Post a Comment