Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Living Daylights

Last Thursday, after a meeting at the University of Indianapolis, I drove further south on 135 to visit Daylight Donuts.  Years ago, when I lived off Stop 11, I used to frequent this place and it was good to be back to the familiar smells.

When I walked into Daylight, I found a young guy behind the counter who was eager to serve me up some of his remaining breakfast fare (it was past noon).  "I'm here for a donut," I announced as I ambled up to the glass display case.  "What's good?"

He waved a hand toward the six trays in the display case. One item in particular caught my eye.  "What's that porcupine-looking thing?" I asked.

"We call that a pine cone," he said.  'It's sort of like a cinnamon roll, but we fry it up in a stringy ball, douse it with sugar."

"Looks like your specialty," I said.

"Pine cones are popular.  Only have two left."

"Better give me one then," I said.  "I'd hate to miss out on something that unique."

"Just one?" he asked.

"One my good fellow!" 

He sacked it, told me I owed a dollar and twenty cents.  I handed him a fiver.  The more I looked at this thing though, the more I realized that it would take me an entire day to eat it all.  It was huge.  "How many calories do you think is in this thing?" I wondered aloud.

"I wouldn't know," he said.  "I don't think of things like that around here."

Ahhh, yes.  Denial.  But the kid was skinny.  I wondered if he'd ever eaten a donut in his life, and the tattoo parlor (SkinQuake) was next door.  I noted several tattooed ladies entering and exiting and one of them had a skull and snake inked into her neck.  I was glad to be into donuts instead of skin art.  Those skull women scare the living daylights out of me.  I couldn't imagine having a conversation with one of them.

Oh, but her name was Alexis.  And I offered her a piece of my pine cone.  Nice girl.  

No comments:

Post a Comment