Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Thursday, March 1, 2012

Are "Donettes" Donuts?

Now and again we encounter these small chocolate-covered or powder-covered "donettes" on snack tables or contenental breakfast buffets.  But before we eat them, we ask: "Are these really donuts?"

It's a great question--not merely existential in origin--but from a dietary perspective as well.  If you can pop it whole into your mouth, is it really a donut?  Isn't a donut a food one can dunk or break apart? 

Last week I conducted my own informal poll and arrived at the conclusion that 50% of Americans believe the donette is a donut, and 50% believe it is not.  I also learned that the poll does not reflect political or religious affiliation, but reflects an evenly divided populace. (*)

I would, however, like to expand my poll numbers and that is why I'm asking for your help.  Would you like to weigh in?  Drop me a line and tell me what you think:  Is the donette a donut?

(*) Poll percentages reflect an accuracy give or take 50%, as two people were polled--one a Catholic and the other a Methodist.  Sex may also be a factor, as both were males, and one had eaten a donette within 24-hours of the polling.

No comments:

Post a Comment