Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dreaming of Donuts

On Monday, after making hospital visits to IU Methodist and Riley, I found myself dreaming of donuts.  Certain concoctions scrolled through my head:  the lemon filled, the toasted coconut, the chocolate frosted.  I passed several bakeries, including a now-vacant store front that used to be home to Crawfords bakery--directly across the street from Methodist on Capital Ave.

Crawfords was one of those family bakeries that I often visited as an aftershock--especially if I had made a visit in the hospice wing.  When one is dealing in death, a donut is a spirit-filled offering that raises hope as well as blood-sugar levels. 

I often dream of donuts when I'm driving, and I keep my eyes peeled for new opportunities.  I noted two bakeries on 86th street that I hope  to visit in the near future, and I've got them pegged on my GPS.

Strange as it sounds, I also find that I lose weight when I'm eating more donuts.  As I haven't eaten many donuts in the past two weeks, I've gained four pounds.

I've got to get back to my roots.  I've got to visit those new bakeries.

There's a donut waiting for me . . . and it's the one I keep dreaming about.

No comments:

Post a Comment