Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My Hilligoss Experience 1

Thanks to Mike & Philip Hilligoss, my recent Saturday morning foray into the wonderful world of baking was not only educational, but delicious.  We started with coffee, and it was not yet 5 a.m.  Nothing like waking up among the aromas of fresh dough.

Donuts begin, of course, in the mixer.  And the dough is mixed fresh every morning at Hilligoss from a batch that, as far as I know, may be the 1000th generation of the first batch mixed nearly forty years ago.  I'm assuming that, since the Hilligoss goods have a distinctive taste and texture, the dough-recipe is a secret.  And it should be!  The dough keeps going and going and going . . . kind of like the Energizer Bunny. 

From the first batch of the morning (the first proof rolling and cutting) the glazed donuts are prepared.  This first cutting insures that the donuts, once fried in the oil, will be moist and tender.  The second cutting--dough that is saved and re-rolled after the first proof--is used to make other pastries such as the pecan rolls and the various danish (apple, apricot, cherry).  But it's all GOOD.

Watching Phil and Mike cut their way through these mounds of dough was an experience . . . and at one point Phil tried to kill me by giving me a warm pecan glaze fresh from the oven.  Believe me, it was to die for.  With a glass of skim milk in hand, I could have gone into sugar shock and would have died a happy  man.

The entire enterprise was like a well-oiled machine, and after an hour, I was amazed at how much product Mike and Phil and the staff had produced.  There were rows of fresh glazed and mounds of jelly filled; heaps of danish; stacks of holes. And as I mentioned in an earlier blog--an art form.

And here's another thing . . . those balls of dough that come out of the inside of the donut . . . they are not really "holes" are they?  They are more like the middle of a donut.

Or, as some might call them . . . heaven.

As for breakfast or lunch today, you know where you're going.  Better make the drive before they run out of your favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment