Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Thursday, March 29, 2012

What Happens in the Bakery Stays in the Bakery!

Every now and then, when I meet people in the bakery who are obviously buying a donut, they look skittish and sheepish, as if they are ashamed to be in a bakery, as if their purchase is demeaning to their humanity.  "I know I shouldn't do this," some of them say, "but I just can't help myself."  "These are sinfully good," othesr say.  "I try to stay away," others gasp, "but I am weak."

Indeed.

But, like Luther once proclaimed:  "Sin, and sin boldly."  (I got this quote from some Lutheran friends, but I'm not sure Luther said it . . . kind of like all the fluff people attribute to John Wesley that he never said.)

So . . . I'll say it.

Go ahead and eat a donut now and then.  It is good for the soul. 
    --Todd Outcalt, modern-day donut guru and patron saint of pastries

This quote is taken fresh from my upcoming book:  You Can't Take it With You:  But You Can Carry A Little Around Your Middle.

When I meet a friend in Dunkin' Donuts or Krispy Kreme, I don't turn away.  I face temptation head-on.  I order boldly and pour cream into my coffee, too.  Oh, there are times I'll make a comment like, "Of course, I'm heading to the gym after this" or " . . . this is for my wife, not me!"  But I don't want to add a lie on top of the coconut, so I usually just take a bite. 

If there are other sinners out there who want to form a Krispy Kreme Klub, let me know.  I'll be your pastor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment