Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Monday, March 5, 2012

My 4 a.m. Saturday

A few days ago I was offered a rare "insiders" glimpse into a working bakery.  Mike & Philip Hilligoss were gracious enough to invite me into the Hilligoss Bakery (a Brownsburg Icon!) and observe them as they went through their paces.  I thank them for their hospitality and the opportunity.

I rose at 4 a.m. that Saturday, not too much earlier than I often rise, but for a Saturday, 4 a.m. was ungodly . . . and I drove across town, knocked on the rear door of the bakery, and was ushered into the warm lair of these incredible pastries in-progress.  I'm a big Hilligoss fan, as I often get a donut AFTER my workouts at Brownsburg Fitness. But seeing these guys in action gave me an even deeper appreciation for the artistry of the craft.  And yes, it was art, my friends! 

I'm going to write about my Hilligoss experience this week . . . so you'll have to tune in on Wednesday & Friday for a full report.

But for now let me say . . . I now know the reason why I am a donut-lover. I have been to the promised land and I have seen the milk and honey and I have tasted the fat of the land (and am holding some of it around my middle) and boy does it taste good!  And there's a reason why they call them "dough"nuts.

The secret is in the dough.  And that's where we'll begin.  Next time.

And until then remember . . . all things, including donuts, in moderation!

No comments:

Post a Comment