Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Thursday, March 22, 2012

My Oldest Donuts

Bakeries generally shed day-old donuts.  They usually give them to homeless shelters.  But I'm willing to buy.

A few weeks ago I encountered a pile of these "seconds" in Long's Bakery and had to leave the store with a few in tow.  Inexpensive.

But there's a secret to eating day-old donuts:  Dunk 'em.

Hot coffee is the great equalizer when it comes to seconds.  Dunk a day-old it freshens up quite nicely.

I've dunked donuts so stale they could have been used as a door-stopper.  But once they hit the drink, there's no telling how old they are. 

My oldest donuts have been at least a week old.  I've eaten donuts that were so old, we were on a first-name basis.  I've eaten donuts that were so old, I'm sure they were embalmed.  And I've eaten donuts that were so old, they had outcroppings of new growth on them.  But that just means there is more to love.

The next time you happen upon a bakery, don't look past the day-old shelf.  There are some great bargains there. 

Believe me.  I know.

And remember . . . all things, including donuts, in moderation!

No comments:

Post a Comment