Welcome to The Donut Diary

If you love donuts as much as I do (but take my word for it, you don't) this man's blog will be a godsend. Every day I will provide a new culinary twist on the donut for your enjoyment--an experience, a recipe, a bite of donut history. Bring along a cup of coffee and join me as we travel in search of the perfect donut experience!



Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Pampered Donut

As I prepare to lead my fourth funeral in ten days, I thought I deserved a little extra . . . so this morning I'm going out for donuts (very early in the morning!).  I plan to gorge--since I'll be working out at the gym first.  I plan on drinking my fill of coffee, too.

This year (just like the past two years) I have not "given up" anything for Lent. Instead, I've made a commitment to "add" new disciplines to my life or my practice or my health.  Why take something away when you can add something better?  Anyway, it seems to me Jesus would like adding better than subtracting.  I'd rather serve more, give more, do more, help more, or be more . . . rather than try to be something I ain't or take away something that I'm just going to add back later.  I'd rather add something to my life that might stick around for the longer haul (more on this in my Easter message).

So . . . the donuts stay in my diet.  And hopefully, so will a few new practices.

For now, while I'm burying the dead, I'll be eating lots of pastries.  And if anyone wonders why I'm late to a funeral, don't look for me among the dead, but among the living . . . I'll be the one sitting at the table over a box of Krispy Kremes with a steaming cup of coffee between my hands.

I won't be long, however.  Death never takes a holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment